620 fires in 1789 ( 3.100 inhabitants) representatives: Philbert Cassel de la
Chaize, Guillaume Bernardin, François Courvallet, lawyer, Jacques Tirard, Louis
Prestavoine, Pierre Calbris, Charles Daligny, Christophe Gosselin.
3037 Ha - 1661 Inhabitants - 52 in Km2 ( 1990 ) 1650 in 1999
Surface: 3037 ha 63 has 51 ca
Population: 3080 inhabitants
Taxes: 22.459,20 Frcs
Mayor: Dumont de la Londe
Schoolteachers: Lefrançois, Fox
Tax inspector: Legras
Mayor: Geoffroy councillor - chevalier of the Legion of Honnour
Councillors: Madelaine, Durand, Guillouet, Jeanne, Letellier, Lequertier, Plum
tree, Roca, Siquot, Tirard, Vautier, Lamotte, Langevin, Leherquer, Macré,
Pierret, Roca, de St Léger.
Secretaries: Mrs Ravaillaud, Tirard, Legorgeu
city hall open from Monday till Friday sf On Wednesday afternoon of 9
hours / 12h and 14 hours/17 a hour 30 (on Friday, 16 hour 30)
- Phone . 02 31 66 56 00 - Fax: 02 31 66 56 05 - e-mail: email@example.com
The first known Lords were Robert and Yves de Vassy quoted by Wace in " Falaise
Roll " during the conquest of England in 1066.
Robert received nineteen seigneuries in Leicester's counties and Lincoln.
His brother married a descendant of Robert Tison lord of Aldwich, Norman
established one for a long time in England.
A descendant of Yves married Marguerite of Ecosse and signed the Magna Carta. At
the end of the XIII-th century, Guillaume de Vassy was a pretender in the crown
of the Scotland. This branch should go out under Edouard's III administration
Robert was the tree stump of the barons of Vassy from whom ainée branch
disappeared in the XIIIth century and the younger branch of the Vassy Laforêt
existed in the revolution under the name of Vassy-Brécey. The last descendant of
this important family died in Paris on February 2, 1856.
Vassy's baronnie was bought in 1380 by Guillaume d' Amphernet who possessed
possessions on Viessoix and Truttemer le Grand. This family should keep(preserve)
Vassy until 1390, year when Pierre de Navarre, count of Mortain bought him(it)
pout the sum 2000 pounds. Died in 1412, his( possessions returned to
Jean 1st of Rohan. Rohan's family kept( Vassy until 1496, year when the
baronnie was sold to Jehan de Crouen who had the following descendants:
- Guillaume Le Verrier husband of Filipine de Crouen - 1515/1575
- Charles Le Verrier 1575/1589
- Claude Le Verrier 1589/1624
- Esther Le Verrier marries of Bernardin de Marguerie 1624/1644
- Jacques de Marguerie 1644/1700
- Claude de Marguerie 1700/1731
- Henri de Marguerie 1731/1782 marquees of Vassy
- Louise Françoise de Marguerie marries of Charles le Carbonnel de Canisy
1782/1789, last Lord of Vassy.
The marquees of Canisy, in 1789 , had made important works for the castle,
and makes build a stud farm. This property was considered as one of the most
important of the region, what he been worth by the troubles under the
Revolution, owed mainly to the lawyer Dumont of La Rochelle native of Berniéres,
delegated in the Agreement. This one denounced the marquees
repeatedly for detention of weapons, and the castle was plundered by the
revolutionaries of Condé sur Noireau. Following the attack by the Chouans 19
Floreal the year 4 (in May 9, 1796) of the mobile column de Vire which had
plundered the castle and expelled the staff, the marquees who lived in Caen
was interrogated by the half brother of Dumont, magistrate to Vassy. No
responsibility being retained, this one was freed. The
inquiry ordered by the War Minister proved that the plunders of his(her)
properties exceeded 200.000 pounds.
Died in 1814, his son Hervé de Canisy succeeded him, then the girl of
this one, Mrs de Caulaincourt, died in 1876. The castle abandoned after this
date should be demolished in 1952.
In the feudal time, the village consisted of some miserable low workshops,
surmounted by an attic, covered in thatch squeezed on the West by the
church and by the cemetery or arranged along the old street connecting them with
the clod of the Lord, such was the conglomeration which surrounded in the North
and in the East waters of the big and the small fishpond, the big fishpond
formed by waters of the Tortillon extended far towards the Cross of Millières
(name resulting from Roman borders which were spaced out by one thousand not),
cut only by a bridge called the bridge to Ewes allowing to reach the village of
the Barn - the small fishpond collecting waters of the meadow of valleys, was
separated from the big fishpond by the bank of a road leading(driving) of the
place of the church to the mill, today the main road.
Some poor artisans lived there, in the perpetual fear of the plunderings and the
plunders which pulled the wars among Lords, ready to take refuge with
the surrounding walls of the clod, in the slightest alert.
Vassy's village extended over 90 acres of earth between the village of the Barn
on one hand and the road said about the Pottery on the other hand, limited in
the East by the road of the pond and the brook lowering from the
meadow of vergées and on the West, by Tinchebray's road in the chapels of
Glivets and the Horned, places of very known and frequented pilgrimages. The
chapel of Glivets on the verge of the municipalities of La Rocque and Le Theil was
built for the lepers or in the premises where they were held after the
disappearance of the disease. This chapel was dedicated to Our Lady and it(he)
was held in it an annual fair on April 25 which attracted(enticed) numerous
guests. There is no track of this building.
In this time, and doubtless since its creation, Vassy's market was held on
Wednesdays of every week in the South of the church on the place where rises
today the presbytery.
On February 20, 1507, the market which was held Wednesday was moved in Tuesday,
in 1643 were authorized 3 fairs a year, in 1679 establishment of a fourth fair.
In 1803, year or the village was burned-out, there were 250 houses, low thatched
cottages scattered through orchards and "courtils" at the edge of wet alleys and
of a narrow, muddy and bumpy road, near unhealthy ponds which were all filled
because of their smell in warm period.
After a disappearance of more than a century, a new puddle replaced the
(report of 1855):
1 - The Tortillon, born in St Pierre, crosses Vassy, limits
Saint-Germain-du-Crioult and La Chapelle and throws itself into Druance to
Pontecoulant. Courts 6,900 m.
2 - The brook of Getrière born in Rully, pass on Vassy where it
throws itself into the Tortillon. Courts 1300 m.
3 - On the verge of La Roque and Vassy is born the brook of the hospital which
throws itself into the Tortillon on Vassy where it makes turn a mill with
wheat. Courts 4,000 m.
4 - La Roque gives birth to the brook Duval which throws itself into
that of the hospital and the limit with Vassy. Courts 400 m.
5 - Vassy is sprayed by the brook of Maisonnière which takes its source to Moncy
( Orne) and throws itself to Vassy into the Tortillon. His
class is 5500 metres.
6 - Vassy sees being born the brook of the Pottery which throws itself
into the Tortillon after 560 m. of class there.
7 - Vassy the brook of Gerbellière and also throws itself into the
Tortillon. His class is 2000 metres.
8 - Vassy is limited with Saint-Vigor by the brook of Aunais which also
throws itself into the Tortillon on the verge of La Chapelle-Eugerbold and
Saint Germain and makes walk a mill with wheat. 2000 metres of classes(courses).
Three Vassy's churches:
One of these churches, dedicated to Saint Martin, was built east of the current
church, between the Vassy's big fishpond and the street of the Village, and in
the XVIIIth century sure left this church still remained.
Saint Martin evangelized our country. Churches cop's Martinmas, Martinmas of
Le Theil, Vassy's Martinmas, Tallevende's Martinmas, Chaulieu's Martinmas, were
built to honor its memory and the recollection of its preachings.
The current church of which the tower if pupil enters choir and nef a date of
the end of the 15éme century, she is surmounted by an octagonal arrow redone
recently. In 1751, the baron of Vassy possessed the patronage, the three priests
were divided tithes, each having a sharply bounded canton.
Calvary built originally in memory of the epidemics of black plague or bubonique
who made very numerous victims in the 1620s and 1625.
A second church, under the word of Notre Dame de cabaret, is known only by the
testimony of both priests of Vassy, during a lawsuit in 1570, completely agreed
on his existence, certain localities kept the name of cabaret.
The village of La Rue is surrounded with numerous and ancient roads;
it is likely that amounted to this place the church of Our Lady of Cabaret, of
whom nothing remains.
The third church dedicated to saint Philippe, then to saint André had been built
between the villages of the Clod and the Haillerie, on the lands of Ailly's
fief, in a deserted and wild valley.
- 1799 - 1813 Elizabeth Le Coudre - named by the prefect
- On 1813 - 1814 Marquis de Canisy - named by the prefect
- 1814 - 1823 Lecordier de Bon - named by the prefect
- 1823 - 1832 Elizabeth Le Coudre
- On 1832 - 1835 Gilles Tirard
- On 1835 - 1838 Mr Lelouvetel
- On 1838 - 1867 Anselme Prosper Dumont d'Urville de la Londe counters with the
admiral Dumont d'Urville, doctor of medicine, the former officer of
the imperial navy, awarded a medal by Ste Hélène, mayor of Vassy and councillor
of district - been born September 21, 1793 to Cop on Noireau - died on March 22,
1867 to Vassy and whose grave is in the cemetery.
- On 1867 - 1871 Emile Huet notary.
After the fire of the 27 thermidor the year XI (15/08/1803) which
destroyed the biggest part of the village, it was decided to
organize a service of fight against the fire. In 1828, the municipality had 2
pumps and all the necessary material. In 1834, the company counted 34
Modernized since this time, the barracks is one of the most
effective of the region. She counts at the end 2000, 34 fire brigades the
leader of centre of which 2 doctors, is Ss-Lieutenant S . Trouvé.
A music company the Echo du Bocage existed before 1900.
Since 1903, a brass band known and appreciated in the region exists to Vassy.
There was also a newspaper printed in Vassy and missing person before 1900.
A city park is foreseen, for the moment only some privileged have the right to
There is a holiday Sainte Anne last Sunday of July.
1914/1918 Deaths of the municipality:
- L. André - C. Auvray - F. Aubry - Has. Bidard - Has. Bonvoisin - E. Bonvoisin
- Has. Bumblebee - L. Brisset - Has. F Brunet-. Brunet - V. Brunet - H. Buot -
H. Calbris - E. Calbris - Mr Castel - E. Catherine - Has. Carré - J. Cherish
- R. Colas - H. Coupart - R. Courvalet - V. Crouen - p. Dalibert - H.
Daligne - H. Delarchant - H. Dumont - H. Durand - H. Ferrand - E.
Fretaut - P. Froger - F. Petitfort - H. Gallier - G. Garnier - H.
Gerault - H. Gesnouin - R. Gosselin - G. Gouasdoue - V. Guibout - H. Guitton
- Mr Hamel - E. Hardy - V. Hatteville - H. Jeanne - L. Jouvin - E. Julienne -
L. lavaud - J. Lebailly - V. Lebarbier - V. Lebaudy - lebossé F. - H.
Lechatellier - E. Lechatellier - V. Leconte - P. Legrigeois - H. Lemarchand
- H. Leménager - E. Lemonnier - C. Leperdrieu - H. Leplanquois - H.
Leslandes - H. Levergeois - P. Madelaine - H. Poupion -
V. Requeut - H. Restout - G. Robert - H. Roger - L. Roullot -
T. Roullot - G. Roynel (appear on the monument of St Sauveur de Chaulieu 50) -
Mr Seillery (not native of Vassy) - H. Tirard - E. Torigny - E. Trouvé - F.
Trouvé - I. Turmel - J. Vaubrun - H. Vautier-abbot Lecourt.
1940 - Servicemen:
- R. Amaury - E. Barbey - F. Bigeon - G. Bissey - L. Blais - Mr Dagobert - R.
Desert - E. Duchesne - D. Gilles - R. Gilles-L. Kergalle - H. Legros - H.
Lenormand - D. Letellier - C. Rault - P. Sissenan - R. Tirard-. Thomasse -
L. Turmel. 1 soldier killed on June 18, 1940 in Vassy's wood: E. Duchene of
Louviers ( 27 ) do not appear on the monument
1944 - Civil victims
- L. Benoist - L. Broth - B. Delaunay - H. Grihaut - M. Hamel - G. Joimel -
Marie Legallou - Hélène Mezeret - Mr Picot - R. Toutain.
1944 - Victims of the Nazis:
- F. Brunet- Caulet - P. Ménochet - J. Requeut.
North Africa: - M. Lebreton
To note that this monument carries victims'names who were not born to
Two of these people, the one practicing to Vassy and to surroundings, and the
other one around of Athis, were rival for a long time, distrusting one of the
other one when accidentally they met. But, in the Norman bottom both, and
besides bocains, they knew how to hide and hide their mutual hatred under the
appearances of frank one warmheartedness, in which less sly than them had been
A day when there was fair to Condé, they met, were made a reception printed by the
biggest gentleness, as it was necessary to drink to tighten the links of the
friendship, one entered the cabaret. The ardent brought coffee, Athis's
affranchisseur hurried to put it the sugar and to move to melt it.
His colleague, who had seen him sliding a little white powder in its
cup at the same time as the sugar, made it nothing appear but, getting up one
minute later, he exclaimed: oh! My God! A horse which beats down. The man
in the white powder approached the window to look, this movement is enough for
his colleague to change quickly the cups of place, and one recovered at table.
The sampled coffee, came the shoot - coffee, the "rincette", and one
left by exchanging force handshakes, as a mark of good fellowship. The next day,
the poisoner fell ill, became quite funny, went by declining, and finally passed
of life with demise.
When affranchisseurs did not personally enter into conflict, it was the sticks,
even their handkerchiefs, that took care to empty the quarrel. A day, two of
these people, sworn-in enemies, being alone in Vassy's inn, dashed glances of
anger, were eatable eyes, their sticks placed with them, and which seemed to
share their hatred, moved, were startled of impatience and anger. Soon, as two
vipers taking their run-up, they raised themselves,
and, meeting in the middle of the room, escrimèrent with fury the one against
the other one. The knocks cried so dry and so thick as hail in times of
thunderstorm. The fight so continued with different chances until the moment
when, by a tacit agreement, their bosses judged to terminate it by making return
each of the sticks in his corner.
A the next time, the handkerchiefs of pocket, while having each a knot in one of
the ends, which replaced sticks. They stole, continued, attacked
or avoided each other as birds being surrendering battle, the knocks of
knots replacing the knocks of wings. In one of these meetings, one of the
fighters had apparently the bottom, his boss terminated the fight by saying in
the châtreur his opponent: you will not nevertheless make it eat up to the
chain. And, on a sign of the hand, the handkerchief ran up in its
pocket. It was only time, it was already well damaged, and had not delayed
being any more than a rag. Sketches of the Bocage - Lecoeur-
The Charmers of fire
Vassy's village was burned at the beginning of the century ( 1803 ), and two or
three houses only remained intact. The priest was absent, when he arrived, the
village did not form any more than an immense center, and flames
wrapped the church the loss of which seemed imminent. The priest
made his conspiracy, flames moved back and the church was saved. Sketches
of the Bocage - Lecoeur
In Angotiére a big white dog often haunted parts attacking only the
dogs which roared every night. At the end of patience, the inhabitants made
bless a ball and the vision was lethally affected. Run up, they trouvérent in
the presence of a beautiful quite bare girl who says to them " I am de Vire, I
had a punishment of seven years " misbehavior ", and it was my derniére harms "
and it returned the spirit in front of the terrified inhabitants.
In Rouvel an abnormal person disturbed the calm of the place, parking in
front of the windows of the lodging house, looking what took place. If one
led horses to the watering place, he bestrode one, executing jumps
and formidable jumps. At the end of patience, one fired her a ball
blessed through the window. The blow was mortal, it was impossible to take its
body because of its enormous weight and he needed to bury him on the
spot. As it was the house, the grave was covered with a granite which was never
able to be lifted or moved. It was about a " little serious " girl who
came back from Paris.
E-mail Webmaster: Roynel-Leroy
Soon pages on Vassy's parish