BURCY 14 historic Notes

Sorry but no pictures see French page


121 fires in 1789 ( 600 inhabitants) - representatives Michel Lebesnerais, lawyer, and Jean Auvray says Mulotière.

1131 Ha - 355 Inhabitants - 31 in Km2 ( 1990 ) - 351 in 1999

Situation 1865
Surface: on 1151 ha 99 has 6 ca
Population: 612 inhabitants
Taxes: 7.494,75 Frcs
Mayor: Barbot
Priest: Hamel
Schoolteacher: Roger
Schoolteachers: Levoisvenel


Situation 2001 :
Voters : 256
Mayor : C. Boisnier
Councillors : Auvray, Beaugeard, Poupion, Larcher, Duchemin, Lecomte, Maupas, Guillouet, Chanu, Lepetit.
Secretary : N. Esnault
City hall: monday 16/18 - I 10/12 - Phone 02 31 68 04 71
Library.




In 1450 Burcy was a part of the sergenterie of Le Tourneur, and owed 36 days of watch to the castle of Vire.
The first known Lord is Serlon de Burcy whose castle was in the locality the Clod on the left bank of Alliére, he took part in the conquest of England and received a baronnie in Dorset and Somerset. Guillaume de Burcy, his descendant, kept after 1204 his fief in the parish for a pension to king of France.
In 1521, the parish belonged to Julien d' Amphernet, baron of Montchauvet, Galonnière, Mesnil-Patry, Avangour, Saint Vigor des Monts. He would have died in 1553.
He marries in first marital unions Anne de Brecey, died on June 8, 1535. A son, Jacques who was a Lord of Burcy of the leader of his father, and Lord of Brecey due to his mother, married to Renée d'Oussey he had a girl Françoise d' Amphernet who will become Françoise de Vassy, who made set up baronnie its seigneury of Brecey.
His descendants will be of Vassy, a marqueess of Brecey. Jacques will embrace the reformed religion. During the religious wars, the houses of the M. de Sourdeval and Choisel de la Motte were plundered by the troops of Montgommery driven by La Forêt de Vassy and the M. de la Poupelière on September 1-st, 1562. During the counter-attack of Duke d' Etampes with Vire on September 4 Forest de Vassy was executed and Poupelière had to its life only in the intervention of his wife with the Duke. The last Lord of Burcy was Philbert Antoine de Combault, a count of Auteuil who succeeded the family Cotelle which had kept it during some decades having acquired it of Perthou in 1620.

Although during the Revolution, Burcy remained a relatively quiet parish, his inhabitants helped by the local Chouans moved in Le Desert to destroy there the title deeds which hampered them.
In 1700, there was a prieuré the prior of which was Jean Charles de Sarcilly and a priest Guillaume Chapes whose incomes were 600 and 700 livres and which exercised their functions alternately every week for the 705 inhabitants 4 monks and 10 noble persons.

Magnificent church with its waisted classified skeleton ancient memorial, and a ground formed by numerous gravestones. The hall still possesses stony benches foreseen for the assemblies of Sundays. Tithes were perceived by the prieuré of Plessis following the donation done for the 12éme century by Zacharie de Burcy and Richard de Rollos. There were also two brotherhoods: that of Ste Anne and that of the Rosary.

In 1789 the church was very well furnished, in the inventory of March 16, 1794 are indicated :
3 chalices, patènes 3, 1 sun, 1 rear quarter panel, 2 oilcans the quite silver for a weight of 9 marcs 2 ounces 10.
Encensoirs 2, 2 buns, 5 crosses, 2 lamps, 1 vespillon, 1 flat dish, 24 candlesticks, 1 font the quite copper for a weight of 115 livres. 20 screeds, 4 curtains, 1 canopy, 2 banners, 2 pinafore dresses. 2 bells delivered to the district of Vire for a weight of 900 livres.
The possessions of the prieuré were considered on November 2, 1790 by François Dupont de Truttemer le Petit and Michel Bonnel de Vire at an 145-franc income.

In 1579, Jean Lair made build the manor house of the Douit some ruins of which there are only. One of its descendants, brilliant hellenistic Jacques Lair was born in 1647 to Burcy, regent of the school of the Wood in Caen, he died in 1698.

Charles Julien Lioult de Chênedollé was born in Vire November 4, 1769, of a father member of the revenue court of Normandy.
After studies to the school of the Cordeliers, then to Oratoriens to Juilly, he emigrated in December, 1791 into Belgium then into Holland to join the army of the Princes.
With help of Mrs de Stael, he obtained his radiation of the list of the emigrated and returned in Paris in 1799. On order of Fouché, home secretary, it not put to bring in in Vire that on August 5, 1802. Bound with Rivarol then Chateaubriand and with his sister, he published in 1807 the genius of the man. In 1820 the Poetic Studies.
Married with Aimée de Banville June 4, 1810, professor of literature in Rouen on June 25, 1810, inspector of schools in Caen, and general inspector of the University in 1830, it died in Coisel the december 2, 1833.
His wife died on November 24, 1860. Buried in Burcy's cemetery.

War victims
1914-1918: Leveillé, Lepeltier, Blanchard, L. Blanchard, Barbat, Huard, Esnault, Desmortreux, Angot, Juhel, Anger, Buot, Gournay, Aubine, Chatel, Auvray, Aumont, Jeanne, Leloutre, Besnier, Lugan, Poret, Barbot, Chapel, Marienne, Aubeuf, Lenormand, R. Chatel, P. Poupion, Alphonse, James, Dubourgeais, Charles Michel d'Annoville.

E-mail : Roynel

04/2002