PIERRES 14 Notes

Our thanks to M. R. Hess for his help

160 Fires in 1782 ( 800 inhabitants) - Representatives: Jean Villeroy Syndic, Bernardin Angot.

972 Ha - 208 Inhabitants - 21 in Km2 ( 1990 ) - 199 in 1999

Situation 1865
Surface: 972 ha 85 has 68 ca
Population: 640 inhabitants
Taxes: 6.153 Frcs
Mayor: Lepesteur
Priest: Pichard
Schoolteacher: Harang
Schoolteacher: Lafontaine


Situation 2001 :
Voters 164
Mayor: R. HESS
Councillors: Legrix, Dubourg, Frères, de Coupigny, Burnouf, Lamarre, Allix, Boutrois, Anquetil, Geffroy.
Secretary: Mrs HALBOUT
City hall: Tuesday 10/12 - Friday 17/19 - Phone . 02 31 68 49 00
Municipal bulletin




Pierres whose name results from numerous prehistoric stones (points of arrows, tools) a collection of which it there is at present to the museum of Vire, found on its territory by a schoolteacher before 1940.


Brooks :
- Vaumousse's brook which passes on Pierre and throws itself into Allière in the junction point with Pierre whom it divides of Le Theil, having made turn 2 mills with wheat. Length 6,000 m.
- In the limit Pierres-Chênedollé is born the brook Pontion which throws itself into that of Chênedollé. Length 1.512 m. (State of 1855)

The Lords

The first known Lord is Hascoldus de Soligny in the 12éme century, having taken a stand with the threads of Henry II, king of England, he was arrested in Deception in 1173, his seized possessions. In the fastening of Normandy with France in 1204, Pierres became royal domain.
The parish was granted to Rouvencestre's family by 1217. This family was native of the County of Kent and was a part of vassals of Eudes bishop of Bayeux and half brother of Guillaume the Conqueror.
The first one was Raoul de Rouvencestre, a supreme commander of Eudes, then Helton, and Raoul his grandson.
In 1356 Thomas married a girl of Bertrand de Bray, baron of Vassy. One of its daughters Jeanne married in 1411 Thomas de Banville who was a governor of Vire. Their son Jean ordered the nobility of Vire, Mortain, Thorigny, Condé sur Noireau in 1467.
This family should keep Pierres until 1757.
In 1450, Pierres was a part of the Sergenterie de Vassy, and owed 27 days of watch to the castle of Vire.
There was a notary's practice situated in a cabaret in the village of Bijude, the business was heard on Wednesdays...
In 1528, the Lord of Pierres was Nicolas de Banville, his son Robert succeeded him, then Pierre married in 1545. Etienne de Banville was a boss of Pierre in 1606, married to Françoise de Clinchamps. Their son Michel who was general lieutenant of the bailliage of Vire died in 1668, leaving a son Georges also general lieutenant who died in 1697.
Jacques de Banville was the last one of the family, died in 1757, leaving a girl Charlotte who married Cyprien Guillaume de Corday d' Arclais who was the last Lord of Pierre.
Captain of cavalry, he died to Pierre on May 7, 1804, leaving a son Louis Aimé Cyprien, a representative of the Calvados under the Restoration and died to Pierre on March 8, 1840.

The church placed under the protection of Saint Pierre has some former(old) parts, walls in fish bones of fish, tracks of a destroyed hall. It is surmounted by an established wooden bell tower in the middle of the nef. (Description of 1850). The patronage belonged to the Lords of Pierres of Rouvencestre, Banville and Corday. The priest collected tithes, in 1700 it was about Charles Delorme who had 700 parishioners.
The bell tower of origin placed in the middle of the church and consisted of 4 immense équarris oaks supporting bells and flêche collapsing after several centuries of existence was replaced in 1875 for an 3000-franc amount. The new bell tower being placed in the place of the gate of the ancient church.
On the wall of the choir, a plate of black marble with the following registration :
To the memory of Master Georges de Banville rider Lord and boss of the parishes of Pierres and Ronfeugerai, councillor of the roy general lieutenant of Vire - illustrates by his birth, more illustrious by his virtues advisable by his sweetness and his amiability, by his penetration of spirit and by his justice. Noble and virtuous Lady Marie Turgis his very faithful wife made put this monument to be in the offspring a public mark of her tenderness and her gratitude for a so dear husband.
Besides a small crypt, is on the north wall, a marble plate regrettably beaten during the Revolution, the small monument in the memory of Jeanne de Rouvencestre.
This patch, engraved in the feature, represented the sat based Christ and blessing Jeanne, under the lines of a lady put on by a hennin, knelt down in its feet and what Saint Pierre presents him(her). Below these figures, the following registration appeared :

The year thousand and four hundred and fifty
In month of out the douzieme in the daytime
Golds were boutés I boast
Anglois without staying
Of Cherbourg the strong tower
And of tres - all Normendie
Never shall see their return
If God plest qoiq' there me in die
Iceluy the year for abrégier
Damoiselle Trespassa noble...
This patch was never restoration.

Several gravestones in the church the description of which was made(done) in 1857 by A. de Caumont :
Here are some flat graves which one sees in the choir, at feet of the registration which we have just transcribed :
Georges de Banville de Pierres died on February 7, 1697, please, ask God for him.
Marie Turgis widow of Georges de Banville escuyer of the parishes of Pierre and Rondfugeray to advise of king general lieutenant of Vire restaurant owner of this church died on January 14, 1723
Lady Marie Dupont in ........ Rondfugeray marries of Master Michel de Banville in ........ Pierre died X in February M.D. C.LXX
Under the lectern is a grave of most boorishly drawn. It is that of Bernard de Banville to escuyer; he adorned to be the XVI ° or of the XVII ° century. In the nef one also sees several graves, notably those who carry(wear) the following registrations :
Grave of Me Georges de la Mare priest cleaned out by Pierres and died on April 4, 1730, please, ask God for luy.
Grave of maistre Jean Villeroy priest cleaned out by this parish who died on June 24, 1738, please, ask God for his soul.
Grave of noble crowns Françoise Catherine Ruault marry of Master Jean Antoine de Banville in ......... of Truttemer and died on October 21, 1730, please, ask God for her.
Ci-gist Me Jean Villeroy priest who died the XX-th day of March, 1663, please, ask God for luy.
On the threshold of the door is a boorishly dug registration, of which Mr Bouet was able to read only a part : in crossing ....... arrestes hear you celuy who is interred icy that it will be necessary to die aussy... Pret Georges Aubert ask God for luy die 20 may anno dni on 1679.
In the cemetery, on a big block of granite placed in the South of the choir, one reads the following registration: here rest L.A.C of ancient Corday chev page Of St Louis delegated by some Calvados died to Pierres on March 8 1840.
On the other side a badge of azure in three chevrons of money(silver) surmounted by the currency cord and ore.
Behind this grave are two big granite graves among which here are the registrations :
Here rest noble lady Charlotte de Banville de Pierres, wife of Master Cyprien de Corday died on August 10, 1784.
Here rest Cyprien de Corday d'Arclais captain of cavalry, chev. Of St Louis, died to Pierres on May 7, 1804.
Saint Denis and saint Marcien, martyrs, are the bosses of a chapel holder who had been based to Pierre by Bernardin de Banville, Lord of Avilly, who had obtained the relics of these two saints in a journey done in Rome. Mgr. Servien, bishop of Bayeux, allowed him to endow this chapel of 25 livres of pensions on August 24, 1655. One said a mass there every week. The founder saved himself, for him and his successors, the right to name the chaplain.

The castle The manor house is in a valley close to the village, it existed in 1697 occupied by the widow of Georges de Banville.
It contained several rooms of which a kitchen situated in the extremity the North of the manor house. Built at the edge of a brook, it(he) was lined by magnificent ponds, which almost cost the life to the chatelaine in 1944, this one refusing to give the fish to the Germans, these menacérent to shoot her. It contained some appendices serving as agricultural buildings and a for a coach.
At some distance, built by 1890, a cave copies of Notre Dame de Lourdes, surrounded with water which was the object some decades ago of important processions, at present a traditionnaliste ceremony exists on August 15. This manor house and the cave always exist.

Victims 1914-1918 :
- E. Amaris - R. Auvray - F. Bourdon - H. F Buot-. F Buot-. Bridet - J.B. Denis - T. Duboscq - J. Edmond - H. Gosselin - E. Hébert - V. Lemagnen - G. Messou - C. Rioult - H. Tirard - H. Tirard - H. Villeroy.
Victims 1939-1945 :
Servicemen: - C. Fortin - H. Prestavoine.

Civil: - Boutrois - H. Delalande - G. Hébert - Mr Jourdan - E. Leconte - a H. Prud'Homme - C. Poisson.

04/2002